EAST WINDSOR – With a March 2018 program launch, Fresh River Healthcare in East Windsor will be one of just a few skilled nursing facilities in Connecticut to offer a dedicated and comprehensive program to support patients with Parkinson disease (PD).
Fresh River is uniquely qualified to offer comprehensive PD services, having assembled a multi-disciplinary team of clinical professionals. Equipped with a range of clinical tools and supportive services specific to the care and treatment of patients with PD, Fresh River serves persons with PD and their loved ones in the inpatient and outpatient setting.
Inpatient clinical program includes:
- Comprehensive management of the person’s medical, functional, and behavioral needs with a focus on promoting independence and safety,
- Medical consultation with neurologist or rehabilitation physician,
- 24-hour nursing care with a focus on medication management,
- Comprehensive Physical and Occupational therapies including LSVT BIG,
- Speech and Language therapies including LSVT LOUD, communication and cognition, and Synchrony dysphagia swallow strength and training,
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation services by Dr. Matthew Raymond, Consulting Physiatrist, to optimize posture, balance and overall function,
- Education for patient and family,
- Nutrition counseling and support,
- Advanced rehabilitation technologies, including assistive technologies, body-weight support systems, and electrical stimulation devices
- Therapeutic recreation, and
- Education in fall prevention.
Supportive programing available to Fresh River residents in the inpatient setting but also in the outpatient setting and to the general public:
- Neurogym strength and mobility equipment and training,
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT) and BIG and LOUD voice and movement training program,
- “Beat Parkinson’s Today” boxing and functional interval training program every Wednesday at 1:30pm (standard) and 2:30pm (advanced), and
- Support Group, structured by the American Parkinson’s Disease Association, meets at 1:00pm on the third Wednesday of each month at Fresh River.
“We carefully researched and studied the interventions, treatments and supports that have the most impact and best outcomes for patients with Parkinson’s disease. We put a wide array of those supports and specialists in one place. We strive to be a location of distinction for those with neurological and cognitive disorders. We have designed our treatment options and plans of care to achieve an improved quality of life and help patients remain in control of their bodies and lives.”
-Jim Christofori, Administrator at Fresh River Healthcare.
Fresh River Healthcare is a 140 bed skilled nursing facility which specializes in memory care, neuro-cognitive and behavioral health, as well as short term rehabilitation and long term care services.
Fresh River is Five Star rated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and in a January 2017 article Fresh River was also identified by the Connecticut Health Investigation Team as having the lowest hospital readmission rate in the State of Connecticut.